Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

In Missouri, where the governor didnt make it legal, but did…

In Missouri, where the governor...
In Missouri, where the governor didnt make it legal, but did say it was lowered, what can I expect my ticket for 2 marijuana roaches in Cass County Missouri have as a disposition without a lawyer
10/18/2017
RobertJDFL, Lawyer

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Good evening,

Legislation was approved in 2014 to rewrite Missouri's criminal code so that the possession of ten grams or less of cannabis is punishable by a fine only though the offense remains classified as a criminal misdemeanor. These changes took effect on January 1, 2017. The possession of greater quantities of cannabis remains punishable by jail time. This applies to a first offense.

You can talk to the prosecutor before your court hearing and see what they are willing to offer you (if anything). Some prosecutors are willing to reduce the charge to a non-criminal offense, which would be the best outcome.

I'm assuming that having a lawyer that is precisely what would happen in the plea agreement. If I do it myself, when would I talk to them, the day of right before, or call and set up an appointment

The day of, exactly. Normally the prosecutor will get there early because they are handling a lot of cases that day, so you should approach and try to discuss your case with them, ask what they might be willing to offer you.

RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Thank you

You're very welcome. Thank you for using Just Answer. Your business is appreciated.

RobertJDFL, Lawyer