Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

If someone who is being investigated for a crime leaves the

state when no charges have...
If someone who is being investigated for a crime leaves the state when no charges have been filed and no law enforcement or legal personnel has contacted them can they be charged with a crime when they return and they are no longer a resident of the state?
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/17/2017
Nisha Jones, Esq.

Good afternoon, I am a Criminal Defense attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Yes-- if the statute of limitations has not expired when this person returns, they can still be charged upon their return.

This applies even if the person returns and moves to a different state.

If the statute of limitations has run, then they would no longer be at risk of criminal charges.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Even if the individual is no longer a resident of the state?

Yes, that's correct.

And unfortunately dealing with an out of state criminal case is often a bit difficult as it entails traveling to court dates, etc.

I hope that helps! Let me know if you still have any questions.

​Please take a moment to leave a positive rating for me, 5 stars are always appreciated, thanks!

Nisha Jones, Esq.

If you have any more questions in the future and would like my help, please feel free to reach out to me here at JustAnswer by posting a new question, and adding "For Nisha" to the first part of your question. Best of luck to you, take care!

Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer