Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I had a criminal court hearing and was sentenced, but was…

I had a criminal court...
I had a criminal court hearing and was sentenced, but was never sworn in can this be thrown out
10/16/2017
Nisha Jones, Esq.

Good afternoon, I am a Criminal Defense attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Under the rules of criminal procedure, you should have been sworn in.

However this unfortunately is not in and of itself grounds for having a sentence or plea bargain thrown out. Instead, the remedy would be to have you swear in, and acknowledge agreement to the plea bargain or sentence that was signed and dated on the specific date you initially were sentenced.

Even though you were not sworn in on the record, there would have been a plea agreement or sentencing form that you signed at the time, acknowledging your plea. This form is part of the official court record and file on your case.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer