Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

A person files a police report online and getting harassed

Customer Question
by an officer about why...
A person files a police report online and getting harassed by an officer about why the report was not files in person or by calling 911 to bring an officer to the scene. My question is since the internet was used to file the report, if theres an allegation of filing a false police report~ who has jurisdiction over the report or any alleged crime? local, state or federal?
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/12/2017
Criminal Lawyer: WiseOwl58, Law Professor replied 3 months ago
WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58, Law Professor

It would be the local jurisdiction into which the report was sent. The receiving party would have the jurisdiction in this matter.

Please rate 4 or 5 and close out the question. Good luck to you. I wish you all the best.

Thanks John. The matter is that an item was stolen from a car and the intimidating investigator is suggesting that the report may be false.
I’m assuming because he thinks so is not a probable cause. He claimed he reviewed surveillance of the areas and store that was visited and didn’t see my friend there.
Not sure he knows what my friend looks like. He has also requested a meeting which my friend declined. Based on your experience, what do you think is going on here.
I’m assuming if he has any evidence, there’ll be an arrest warrant without all these questions and request he’s making to have a meeting.
Given these circumstances, what will be probablt cause?
Criminal Lawyer: California Lawyer, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
California Lawyer

I will try and help. You really don't offer much to work with here. The investigating officer is comparing the report to he evidence he has and trying to figure out what happened. That is what they do. If the report does not match the physical evidence, and they can prove a knowing report, then they may proceed in a different direction.

I hope this helps.

DCG

California Lawyer
California Lawyer
California Lawyer, Lawyer