Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Recently charged with multiple misdemeanor charges in a

Customer Question
Recently charged with multiple...

Recently charged with multiple misdemeanor charges in a different state then i live. what can i do to avoid appearing in court and can i set up payment plans for the fines

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And can you tell me a little more about the charge?

I live in Oregon, charges were in North Dakota. 5 separate misdemeanor drug possession charges for various substances.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No i am going to call the north dakota court tomorrow

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don't believe so

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
10/10/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Roger, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
Roger, Lawyer
Hi - my name is ***** ***** I’ll be glad to assist.
Generally, the court requires a person’s appearance in any case where jail time is possible (which is basically anything other than a speeding ticket or other minor traffic citation). Thus, it is likely that you will have to appear in person.
The only real possibility to avoid that would be to hire a local lawyer and see if the court will allow him/her to stand in for you and to agree to pay the fines for the offenses, etc. However, most courts are going to still want you there because of the possible jail time that these charges carry.
Roger, Lawyer