Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

I would like to purchase a "gun" for pest control.

I would like to...

I would like to purchase a "gun" for pest control. Squirrels, possums, skunks and whatever lil critter thinks it's ok to dig up my beautiful plants. I am a convicted felon in the state of VA. Possession of controlled substances. 13 yrs ago. No priors b4 or after. No relapse ever.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

It's Virginia. I'm talking about a bb gun or paint pellets air propelled? More to scare them than kill em. I'm s 53 yr old female. Mother of one son. I want him to learn to shoot. He is 15. Is he still too young for VA to own or shoot a bb gun?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No. They just started digging in my pots. I have 2 dogs that usually handle this but something is creepin' at night while they're sleeping.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I think that covers it all. Thank you!

10/9/2017
Nisha Jones, Esq.

Good afternoon, I am a Criminal Defense attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

I've reviewed your question and I'm happy to help. Give me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thanks!

Thank you so much for all ur help, time and patience. I don't want to embarrass my son in Wal-Mart when the cashier says sorry I can't sell this to you. You are a felon. My son doesn't know yet about the six months of my mid life crisis when his father and I went a little nuts.

No problem, I understand.

Under Virginia law, people with a prior felony conviction are not prohibited from purchasing or using air guns or BB guns.

So you are in the clear to go ahead!

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

No problem, I understand.

So you are in the clear to go ahead!

I hope that helps!

Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer