Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

Not sure it is criminal. I was scammed in early April & gave…

Customer Question
Not sure it is...

Not sure it is criminal. I was scammed in early April & gave scammer remote access to myPC my fault. The next day I realized, went to the bank and closed my accounts, 4 days later, my old ***** ***** were hacked & I lost about $11,000. Now My one account (personls Line of credit has been removed from my site.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because consumer protection law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

NJ

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
10/9/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 4 months ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. I see these kinds of scams often, I am afraid. The scammer will pretend to be a legitimate virus-removing company to gain access to your PC and your bank account via the telephone.

This is a criminal matter. I urge you to file a report using IC3 - it is a federal agency that collects complaints about people being scammed online:

www.ic3.gov

If the scammer can be tracked, then they may be prosecuted.

"I STRIVE FOR FIVE!" My goal is to answer your question to your satisfaction. Please rate with five stars (★★★★★) and click SEND. It does not cost anything extra to rate. You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars. Rating my answer the bottom two stars or failing to submit the rating reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. If you are not satisfied for whatever reason, or, have follow up questions, please simply reply with SEND before or after rating and let's continue to chat until you are satisfied. This is what I am here for.

Ely, Counselor at Law