Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

Has "statement analysis" ever been admitted in a court of…

Customer Question
Has "statement analysis" ever been...
Has "statement analysis" ever been admitted in a court of law? How can new scientific evidence be admitted at trial without a Frye hearing?
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
10/7/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Nisha Jones, Esq.

Good evening, I am a Criminal Defense attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Statement analysis is not currently accepted as a valid scientific-based method in the US.

In other words, it does not meet the Frye standard, and therefore is not used.

There are other countries that utilize similar lie detection techniques in court, however statement analysis is yet to be implemented in US courts.

I can't say for certain whether or not something similar has ever been used in a court case somewhere in the US, however the general accepted rule is as I stated before.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Hi. I already know statement analysis is not currently accepted as a valid scientific-based method. I asked whether or not it had ever been admitted as evidence in a court of law, because I understand if both the prosecution and defense stipulate to any evidence's admission - it can be admitted regardless of the Frye standard.

That's correct. I don't know of any specific cases, however I can opt out of the question and there may be another criminal attorney that can help you. Take care!

Ok. You take care too.
Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer