Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I was receiving food stamp benefits and started working but…

Customer Question
Hi i was receiving...

Hi i was receiving food stamp benefits and started working but didnt report my earning for 6 months. I have a DCF investigator contacting me for an appt . should i go?

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did this occur?

Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
10/6/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Nisha Jones, Esq.

Good morning, I am a Criminal Defense attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

ok

The DCF investigator has most likely contacted you for a disqualification hearing.

This is where they seek to establish whether you have intended to commit fraud.

The investigator then has the option to stop benefits for a period of time, to seek repayment of the amount that was wrongfully overpaid to you, and/or to seek criminal charges.

The criminal charge would be fraud, and could be charged as either a misdemeanor or felony, depending on the amount that was paid out.

Concerning the upcoming request for a meeting -- you can opt out of going, in any event (whether you do go or not) you may soon be served with paperwork asking you to set up a repayment plan for the amount that was paid out.

The most important thing to keep in mind is that you should not admit guilt, whether at the meeting, over the phone, or in any forms you fill out, as this can be used against you to pursue criminal charges.

If you do decide to go to the meeting, or if you do receive a file of criminal charges, then you should hire a defense attorney right away to represent you.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer