Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I am currently on probation and wondering if it is legal or…

Customer Question
Hello i am currently on...
Hello i am currently on probation and wondering if it is legal or acceptable for my probation officer to ask me and expect me to break my current lease agreement with my apartment. I have been on probation for 2 years, for the first 18 months I lived at a halfway house when i moved out I got my own apartment. I have maintained employment and have considerably moved forward in life. During this time I have had no violations. Recently I relapsed and now my P.O. wants me to break my lease and move back into the same halfway house for the 9 months that I have remaining on my probation agreement. Can he legally ask me to do that? Being that I am a felon it was extremely hard to find an apartment in the first place if I get evicted for non payment it will be nearly impossible to rent again. Also would it be an option to speak with his supervisor about the situation or will that make things worse.Thank YouMike
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/5/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 7 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Unfortunately, when you are on probation, you are granted release instead of being in jail, which means probation has a huge amount of control over you. They can make you move back into the halfway house if they have good cause. However, you have a right, since you are under a lease contract, to go to court to file a motion with the court asking them to overrule the probation officer and present it to the court as the extreme financial hardship you would incur because you breached the lease. Making you breach the lease opens you up for civil damages to pay the rent due under the lease, so this is good cause to argue to the court to order you may remain in your rented apartment. Only the court can overturn the probation officer's decision though.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer