Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I am being investigated for food stamp fraud. Fl. No not…

Customer Question
I am being investigated...

I am being investigated for food stamp fraud

Lawyer's Assistant: Because consumer protection law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Fl

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No not yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I seen an email where my employer was contacted about my paystubs

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
10/5/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor replied 8 months ago
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Apart from what your employer received, have you yourself received anything with regard to this? Did you make a mistake in your income when applying for benefits? What's your question about this situation?

I received a letter telling me I was going to be investigated. I created stubs to help me receive food and medical for my kids.

Thank you. Last question:

What options did the letter give you?

It didn't give me options just to inform me I was being investigated. That I may have to pay it back or that it would b sent DA office for prosecution.

That is correct. Deliberately falsifying your income will subject you to facing felony charges. In my experience, however, it is usually possible to get probation if you are charged with benefits fraud. Probation would include making restitution to the government for the overpayment.

I'm not sure what you want to know about this situation, so please reply to this question thread if I haven't touched upon what you were looking to find out.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.

Should I hire a lawyer now or wait?
How long do they take to make a decision?
How do i avoid being arrested?

Should I hire a lawyer now or wait?

You haven't actually been charged with anything yet, so you don't have to hire the lawyer. However, now, before anything does happen, is a good time to have some free or low-cost consultations with a lawyer so that you if the shoe drops you've got the name and number of someone you can call who's familiar with your case and can jump right in.

It is variable. Every case is different. They will likely notify you when they have finished their investigation.

How do i avoid being arrested?

Sometimes offering to pay back monies you wrongfully took can allow you to avoid charges, but every case is different, and whether you can avoid a prosecution depends on the facts and circumstances of your case. Typically, probation is the most common outcome of these kinds of cases and if you have no criminal record, you would likely be released on your own recognizance at your arraignment.

I strive for 5-star service. If I have addressed all of your concerns, please take the time to rate my service to you by selecting 3, 4, or (hopefully) 5 stars on the rating scale, as that is the only way that JustAnswer gives us Experts credit for our work. You would still be able to post further follow ups on this question thread about this for no additional cost, even after I've been rated.