Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

When I got the bail, I didn't give any finger prints or

Customer Question
Hey Scott, When I got...
Hey Scott, When I got the bail, I didn't give any finger prints or didn't go to jail. My bail bonds man got the bail without having me visit the jail. For the first court date, my attorney appeared for me asked for not guilty and also took a copy of the report submitted by the detective and the judge gave a second court date. I had left the country as my project was over and I neither informed my attorney nor my bail bonds man. Now, my attorney thinking that I am still in California, called me and told that I have to turn myself up in the jail as the court requires me to submit my finger prints and finish some formalities to know that I don't have any prior convictions. Now, I am worried what to say to my attorney. Can you please help me how to proceed now? The misdemeanor case that has been filed against me was PC 314 (Indecent Exposure) in California.
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
10/5/2017
Criminal Lawyer: ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer

Thank you for using JustAnswer and for requesting me again.

It'd be best to be honest about it. Let him know that you've left the country because of your project ending. You can certainly ask whether that's going to be an issue in the future, but what can your attorney do about it? Attorneys actually have a duty of confidentiality, so the attorney can't inform the court about you having left the country without you agreeing to it. But like I said previously, if you're not looking to go back, then the most that will happen is a "failure to show". There'll also be a bond forfeiture and the bond agent might go after you (for payment) but that's about it.

Ohh, thank you for your kind and prompt response. So, as the bond agent has my employer details, will he reach out to my employer? If I pay off his money, will everything gets settled?

It's possible that they would reach out to find out where you were. If it's paid off, then it wouldn't be an issue.

ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer