Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I am in court right now for a dui. I am in treatment and…

Customer Question
Hello i am in court...
Hello i am in court right now for a dui. I am in treatment and have a court date once i complete treatment. ON September 30th my daughter age 17 attacked me because i confronted her for coming for late with her boyfriend who is 20. she slapped me and bite my arm. I just got a call from a police officer that she pressed charges on me and i have to turn myself in to the precinct on Monday to be processed and taken to see the judge. This all happened in NY. Am i going to be taken to jail? What should i expect.
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
10/5/2017
Criminal Lawyer: CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty replied 10 months ago
CrimDefense
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. Are you on probation?

No I saw the Judge yesterday and they adjourned the case until 12/07/17 upon completion of my treatment
Is this a diversion program you are in?
What is that?
It is when a case will be dismissed if you comply with all requirements imposed by the court. It allows first time offenders to keep their record clean
A conditional plea where i dont get charged and have a criminal record. I might be saying it wrong but yes something like that
It is possible that the arrest and charge for this could take away the conditional plea. You would need to review the terms and conditions of it to see. However, the court may wait to see the outcome of the new charge to decided if any action will be taken. If arrested and charged you do want to retain a criminal defense attorney to represent you if the claim and allegation is false.
I have to go to the precinct on Monday to be finger printed and taked to see a judge, I know it means i am arrested but does it mean i am also charged?
If you are printed and taken before a judge you will be charged and arraigned.
Will I be taken to jail? the judge will see i have an open case and might just want me to be taken away?
how will the open case affect the judge view on my current charges
If you are arrested, they will need to process you in jail and you will have to wait until a bond is set and you can be bonded out.
a bond? Why?

When a person is arrested and charged with a crime, the Judge will set a bond, to secure their appearance. For something like this, involving a child and domestic violence, a bond is almost always set.

i know its up to the judge but from your experience how much is the bond usually in this situation and how does it work.

The bond will vary. Since you have a DUI, they may ask for a higher bond, with this domestic violence charge. You can always hire a bondsman to post it and pay them a fee for their service.

What is your advise to help my case. I have pictures of the bruises that gave me. but thats it

If she slapped you and bite you and you defended yourself and/or did not even touch her, you will want to defend this. You need to retain a criminal defense attorney and can have them accompany you to the station, to turn yourself in. You may have a self defense claims to raise and use at trial, as well.

Criminal Lawyer: legalgems, Lawyer replied 10 months ago
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer

I see you requested a new professional ; I am reviewing your question.

What is your remaining question please?

can my defense lawyer in my dui case rep me on this case? and is that good or bad he is a PD
the same attorney can represent a client in two cases. Generally they are assigned cases but it is possible to request depending on internal policy.

Hello again; just checking in to see how things worked out;

If you have no further questions a positive rating is most appreciated (at no additional cost to you) and allows the site to credit my account for the time spent assisting you!

if you have further questions please don't hesitate to reach out to me here on Just Answerand I will do my best to get you the requested information.
Thanks!

The above information is for educational purposes only. A consultation with a private attorney is recommended so they can apply the law to your specific facts, and suggest the best course of action. An attorney can be located here:
http://www.americanbar.org/groups/public_education/public-information/how-do-i-find-a-lawyer-.html
Terms of service can be viewed here:
http://ww2.justanswer.com/terms-service-0#information