Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I made a statement at HS not to come to school Wednesday I…

Customer Question
I made a statement...

I made a statement at HS not to come to school Wednesday I have a gun....can I be expelled for this reason

Lawyer's Assistant: Because education law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Illinois

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes it was videoed on Snapchat, taken to the police, the police came to my my home and investigated with myself and parents. We had a meeting with the principal of the school and he said I would have to go in from of the School Board for possible expulsion from school

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don't believe so

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
10/5/2017
Criminal Lawyer: ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer replied 10 months ago
ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Yes, you could be expelled for this reason. A student may be expelled for a wide range of misconduct, such as:

• Disobeying school staff
  • Leaving the school without permission
  • Being caught with cigarettes or lighters
  • Damaging school property
  • Using pagers or cell phones without permission
  • Gambling
  • Fighting
  • Forgery
  • Cheating or copying the work of another student or other source
  • Bullying, or using threats, intimidation, or violence
  • Gang activity
  • Turning on the fire alarm when there is no fire
  • Making bomb threats
  • Arson
  • Stealing or bringing stolen goods to school
  • Using or bringing fireworks to school
  • Inappropriate sexual conduct

The school board decides when and for how long to expel a student. However, an expulsion cannot be longer than 2 years in Illinois. Even though this did not occur in school, it did pertain to school and was using threats to try to keep someone else from going to school. So it's clearly something that they would be within their discretion to expel for. The best case scenario would be (if you're going to have a hearing) throw yourself at the mercy of the board. If it can be argued that it was in jest, do so, and say that you have certainly learned you lesson about what to joke about and what to be serious about. If it was serious, say that you're willing to go to any sort of counseling, anger management, etc... But to answer your question, yes, you can be expelled for this reason.

I know this is probably not what you wanted to hear, but it is the law. I hope that clears things up anyway. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.

Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars, but note that the rating is what closes out this question, so it is necessary that you do so.

Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?

Are you there? Please note that I am still here, awaiting your response or rating... (please note that rating closes this question out, so if there's nothing else, please rate it so that I can assist other customers that are waiting for answers to their questions).

If you can't see the stars, you may need to scroll up / down / left / or right to see them. This is where you rate so that the question will close out.

Should I continue to await your response, or may I assist the other customers that are waiting?

My apologies, but I must assist the other customers that are waiting. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.

If you feel that I have gone above and beyond in this answer (my average answer is about 10 minutes) bonuses are greatly appreciated. Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

▼ RATING REQUIRED! ▼ Please don't forget to Rate my service positively. It's only after you rate that I am credited.