Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Can a person be sentenced to jail time/felonies for child…

Customer Question
Can a person be sentenced...
Can a person be sentenced to jail time/felonies for child molestation if the parent doesn't press charges, and the crime is reported by a therapist?
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
10/5/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor replied 10 months ago
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

The defendant has to be convicted of the crime before he can be sentenced. But if you're asking whether a person can be charged with a crime if the therapist reports it, even if the parents object, the answer is yes.

Therapists are mandatory reporters, which is to say that they must report child abuse when they learn of it. At that point, the state takes the case and can press charges. It's not the victim's case, nor is it the parents'. The case belongs to the prosecutor and only he or she can press charges or not, at his own discretion. He does not need the parents' permission to prosecute. To the contrary, he can compel the victim to testify via a court order.