Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

What are the elements of possession of ammo only as a felon.

Customer Question
What are the elements...

What are the elements of possession of ammo only as a felon

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? And have you consulted a local attorney?

California, and its my son who was off parole 4 days prior to this incident

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been officially filed? If so, what?

He is in jail. the prosecution is trying to give him a lot of time because of him just having ammo in his car. what is their element of crime of possession.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The police pulled him over and ammo was in plain sight he wasn't trying to hide it. he has never had any with guns or ammo in any convictions or parole violations. what are the elements that the prosecution have to have to find him guilty of having ammo in his possession as a felon. no gun at all. in the car or at my home that I allowed the police to check

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
10/4/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Nisha Jones, Esq.

Good afternoon, I am a Criminal Defense attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

The elements to prove the unlawful possession of ammunition by a felon are:

(1.) that he owned/possessed/or had ammunition under his control

(2.) that he knew he had the ammunition, and

(3.) that he's previously been convicted of a felony.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!

Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer