Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Yesterday I was charged with embezzlement with ********, my…

Customer Question
Yesterday I was charged...

Yesterday I was charged with embezzlement with ********, my employer, and I was wondering what kind of trouble would I be in even with a clean record?

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did this occur?

Oklahoma

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don't have means of the money to pay for a lawyer, I guess would be my main concern.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/4/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 10 months ago
Nisha Jones

Good morning, I am a Criminal Defense attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Take your time.
Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 10 months ago

The penalty for embezzlement depends on the amount that was allegedly embezzled.

• "Money or property worth less than $500. Penalties include a fine of up to $1,000, up to one year in jail, or both.
  • $500 or more, but less than $1,000. Penalties include a fine of up to $5,000, up to one year in jail, and restitution (repaying the value of the money or property stolen) to the victim.
  • $1,000 or more, but less than $25,000. Penalties include a fine of up to $5,000, up to five years in prison, and restitution.
  • $25,000 or more. Penalties include a fine of up to $10,000, up to ten years in prison, and restitution."

My recommendation would be to hire a local defense attorney as soon as possible. You want to make sure your adequately represented against these charges, and that any and all defenses are raised on your behalf.

There are also many attorneys that take on pro bono cases (ie. represent you at no cost), your local courthouse will have a list of attorneys that have given their names to represent defendants on a pro bono basis. You can contact either the clerk of court or a judicial assistant to obtain a copy of this list of attorneys.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Ok, say I get an attorney that'll take my case with no charge. I have a clean record and I've stolen a little over $1,500. I really don't want to do jail time and I've made the statement to both ******** and the police that I'm more than willing to pay the money back. This is my first experience with any form of crime and I really don't wish for jail time, I just want to work this off and put it behind me.

Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 10 months ago

Since this is your first ever criminal offense, it is very likely that you would receive a lighter sentence.

Unfortunately for the amount of $1500, it's punishable by up to 5 years in prison, but it is also possible to receive a sentence of probation, community service, and/ or a fine.

It really depends on the strength of the prosecutor's case against you, how much evidence they have, and the leniency of the prosecutor and judge.

I hope that helps!

Please remember to leave a positive rating for me, 5 stars are always appreciated, thanks!

Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 10 months ago

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!