Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Arkansas. And no. I filled a order of protection, my husband…

Customer Question
Arkansas Lawyer's Assistant: Have...

Arkansas

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Yes and no

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I filled a order of protection, my husband hit me, and he came back today, and I called the cops to serve him his protection papers, and he ran. I'm wondering what will happen if the police can never get ahold of him to serve him.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
10/4/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 10 months ago
Nisha Jones

Good evening, I am a Criminal Defense attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 10 months ago

I'm sorry to hear that this happened. Give me just a few minutes to type my response for you, thanks!

Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 10 months ago

He cannot be charged with a violation of the protective order, if he is never served a copy of the protective injunction.

That being said, even though he fled today, there is additional opportunity to serve him the injunction.

Notice of the protective order can be served to him by the sheriff's office, any law enforcement officer, or a process server.

The Sheriff should already have a copy and orders to serve your ex, however if not, then you should contact the Sheriff's office as soon as possible and arrange it.

The Sheriff will then make every effort to locate and serve your ex. That includes visiting his home, place of employment, and any other known address for him.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 10 months ago

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!