Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

It's a criminal law question It's a criminal law question.

It's a criminal law question...
It's a criminal law question It's a criminal law question
JA: In what state did this occur?
Customer: Texas
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: Not yet I just want to see what my rights are and if it was proper protocol
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No I have an attorney that I can contact
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/4/2017
Nisha Jones, Esq.

Good evening, I am a Criminal Defense attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship.

I'm happy to help, can you tell me a little more about what happened?

I work in Property management and I the manager You can answer if you want if not it's ok..
on 9/3 one of my residents was arrested for warrant, and his passenger was arrested for Meth. On 9/4 My assistant went to check on the welfare of his children, and noticed a bag with what looked to be drugs. She contacted me, I came over took the bag, and contacted the police, And they told me that I was in possession made me fill out an affidavit. About an hour later they came back to the house and the girl watching his children allowed them into the house and took them where all the drugs were they confiscated the meth and bottles used to smoke, and a week later I was contacted that I had to take a drug test to prove that it wasnt me that said it up. I was escorted to Hospital to do blood work because Meth, Xanax, other pills was found in the bag. is this legal protocol?On September 8 my assistant took the resident in question daughter to her daughters bday party, and afterwords asked the resident in question to ride with them to get the children something to eat they were followed by police . A few days later my assistant driving alone was followed by police . And in the last few weeks the same officer that arrested the resident question pulled over a vehicle not pertaining to any of this and told personal information about the house and told them that I was the one to have my assistant followed. Can a officer give personal information? I never asked anyone to be followed

I've reviewed the information you shared, give me just a few minutes to type up my response, thanks!

Ok!

Based on the information you've shared, it sounds as though the police have been conducting an ongoing investigation to determine who exactly is involved in the situation concerning drugs. This may be happening because the police may be concerned that this was more than just the use of drugs, but rather also the sale of drugs.

As for the drug test -- you did not have to say yes to that, you had the right to refuse, and the police would have then had to obtain a warrant for the drug test, if they were able to.

However since you submitted to the test voluntarily, there was not any violation that took place there.

As far as following your assistant and questioning another unrelated individual, those both sound like much more aggressive tactics. However, from what you've shared, it does not appear that anyone's rights were violated.

The police are allowed to speak to suspected witnesses or suspects about an ongoing case, in an attempt to garner more information or evidence.

Unfortunately it would also be very difficult to prove what exactly an officer said.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Nisha Jones, Esq.
Thank you very much!
You were very very helpful

You're welcome, no problem! If you have any more questions in the future and would like my help, please feel free to reach out to me here at JustAnswer by posting a new question, and adding "For Nisha" to the first part of your question. Best of luck to you, take care!

Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer