Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I am a 21 year old female. I acquired a charge in Omaha,

Customer Question
Second opinion] I am...

Second opinion] I am a 21 year old female. I acquired a charge in Omaha, Nebraska. The charge was theft by deception. They combined my charges with a restitution of 7500. I'm so confused right now because my public defender told me I would have probation. I thought after probation and a year without ever getting into trouble, this charge will be off my record. I know I was wrong in my actions, I will never be able to get a job because I will be a felon forever. My public defender told me I didn't qualify for the diversion program because it was over 6000 dollars. Is there anything I can do to get this off my record after I pay the fine....Please help me Asia.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

I live in Atlanta, Georgia, but my charge was in Omaha Nebraska.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

A public defender, but I think I will have to hire a lawyer because I don't want to be a felon.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That is it.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/3/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor replied 7 months ago
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

Your state won't erase the record, but you can remove the conviction. You would be able to petition to have your conviction set aside once you complete your sentence, including your restitution obligation and any other related fees. This would restore your civil rights as well.

You can see the law as to this here. Because this involves a petition to the court, you would want a lawyer to do this for you.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.

Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD