Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Is it a crime if I look at my spouse's email account without…

Customer Question
Is it a crime...

Is it a crime if I look at my spouse's email account without I my husband hacking into my email account, finding the password ***** looking at emails to find something against without permission an offense ?

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did this occur?

Ohio

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

I have not. I have a meeting tomorrow

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

He thought I was lying and looking for evidence

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
10/2/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Gerald, Esq, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please bear with me while I review your question. I will respond fully shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Thank you for your patience and thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow-up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

Yes, technically it can be a crime to enter into a spouses accounts without authorization. Ohio law makes it a crime to access another's password ***** accounts without permission. There is no exception for spouses.

Here is the law:

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2913

However, law enforcement rarely gets involved (if ever) in these matters when it involves a domestic dispute. They take the position it is a civil matter for the divorce court to handle.

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow-up questions, feel free to ask.

If you ask a follow-up question and I do not respond immediately, it is because I am temporarily unavailable. I promise to respond as soon as I return. Please note that I am often unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response, PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or, if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you, and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,

Gerald

Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer