Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Can a fellow own a pellet gun in west. My wife is a

Can a fellow own...

Can a fellow own a pellet gun in west virginia

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

My wife is a felon,can I have guns in a safe at the house as long as she doesn’t have acces

10/2/2017
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

I’ve been told I’m allowed to carry my concurred weapon with her as long as it is on me personally,is this true
Concielled

Your state defines a firearm as "any weapon which will expel a projectile by action of an explosion." That is similar to though not exactly like the Federal statute which says that defines a fireare as "any weapon (including a starter gun), which will, or is designed to or may readily be converted to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive"

A pellet gun is not considered a firearm under Federal law because it doesn't require an explosive. Similarly, it would not appear to be a firearm under WV law either. I find nothing in WV case law directly on point about the legality of pellet guns for felons, but given the definition of a firearm, you'd have a strong legal argument that it was not one.

As for anything else, the only 100% way to keep your wife from being arrested is not to have any guns in the home or on your person when you are with her, concealed or otherwise. A gun safe to which she has no access is relatively safe, but under the right combination of circumstances, she could still end up charged with a crime. As for having it on your person, I don't know who told you that, but it puts her at great risk.

It's difficult when you share a home with someone whose rights have been taken away, because although you may still have yours, you lose some of your liberties in this area to keep her safe.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.

Zoey_ JD