Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

My question is about my 13 year old son, he was involved…

Customer Question
Thank you, ***** *****...

Thank you, ***** ***** is about my 13 year old son, he was involved with trespassing in our intermediate school, along with other kids that actually vandalized and broke into the school, my son was invited to see the damage made by the other kids and after telling them it was wrong and got out to tell his mother, but to no belief of hers, he was picked up at school that Monday, He was given a 6 mo. probationary period while he goes to court, the kids involved originally said he was not involved when questioned. He is being tried for the same offenses as the other kids, and my layer said that this probation period is to keep him out of juvenile while his court is settled, I know trespassing is trespassing, but my son is easily coaxed into doing things, the school was not locked up, with no signs of no trespassing, it has been an inconvenience that we cant even go out of town without asking for permission, the probation officer wants to know everything and to some point I feel it is invasive. and the district attorney quiet frankly has no bias between a real criminal and a juvenile which has no clue of what's going on

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Yes

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

What can a probation officer do's and don'ts as far as there jobs go with juveniles and they have appointed a physiatrist to review my sons mental condition since he has been recently been diagnosed with ADHD

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
10/2/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Gerald, Esq, Lawyer replied 10 months ago
Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please bear with me while I review your question. I will respond fully shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Thank you for your patience and thank you for using Just Answer. I apologize for the delay in responding but there are not many experts on Sunday nights.

I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow-up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

It sounds like your lawyer is working to get your son what is called a pre-trial diversion program so that he can get a deferred adjudication. This is a lot of legal terminology that means that the attorney is working so that your son's case will ultimately be dismissed. In theses situations it is often better to work out an agreement where your son agreess to be on probation but the trial is put off. Once the probation is completed your son will appear before a judge and the case will be dismissed and there will be no record against your son.

The difficulty with this process is that your son must cooperate with the probation officer. He has to call in or meet wth the probation officer, he might be subject to random drug screens, and he may have to pay the cost of the probation (usually about $30 per month or so).

More often than not the probation officer has many cases. Once he get the feel for your son and realizes that he was misled by others but is otherwise a good kid the probation officer will be less intrusive than at the beginning.

It is also probably good that your son has been assigned a therapist. The therapist can be an ally to your son and can write a positive report to the court for him.

I know that this is difficult. It is embarrassing for him and you, and stressful. Your attorney may not have taken the time to explain the process. BUT if he can hang in there the matter will ultimately be dismissed and since he is a juvenile the record will be sealed.

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow-up questions, feel free to ask.

If you ask a follow-up question and I do not respond immediately, it is because I am temporarily unavailable. I promise to respond as soon as I return. Please note that I am often unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response, PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or, if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you, and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,

Gerald