Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I was charged with a DWI and had a plea of guilty with the…

Customer Question
I was charged with...

I was charged with a DWI and had a plea of guilty with the charge to be dropped when my terms are completed. Now I am trying to fill out my information to get my real estate license and they are asking for information on it. Do I need to share that and how do I find my case number ***** any information about it?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Missouri.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Im not sure, I was told by the judge that after my two years probation that it should be dropped.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That should be all.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/1/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 8 months ago
Nisha Jones

Good afternoon, I am a Criminal Defense attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 8 months ago

From the information you've shared above, it sounds as though you were enrolled in deferred adjudication. This is where you plead guilty to the charge up front, then upon successful completion of the terms of the program, the charges against you are dismissed.

Unless you also had this case sealed or expunged, then the dismissal does stay on your record, and will show up on a background check.

This means that yes, you will need to disclose it to the state real estate licensing board.

Your case number ***** have been printed on any of the court documents you had or signed in relation to your case, you will usually find it on the top, right hand corner of official court documents.

If you are unable to locate any of your paperwork, then you can also find your case number ***** either speaking with your criminal defense attorney, or by contacting the clerk's office at the courthouse where your case was heard, and providing them your name.

You can also obtain a final case disposition from the clerk's office as well, this would be good to provide to the state licensing board as evidence that the case was dismissed.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

This answer is offered for informational purposes only. It is not offered as, and does not constitute, legal advice. Laws vary widely from state to state. You should rely only on the advice given to you during a personal consultation by a local attorney who is thoroughly familiar with state laws and the area of practice in which your concern lies.

Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 8 months ago

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!