Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

My daughter was caught shoplifting $33.00. She plead it down…

Customer Question
My daughter was caught...

My daughter was caught shoplifting $33.00. She plead it down to a disorderly person and received a conditional dismissal. She did not know that after 1 year probation she could file for an expungement. It seems that takes 2-4 months. Is there any way to expedite the process

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

New Jersey

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No, we filed the paperwork on our own, but I'm concerned it will take longer and an attorney could speed up the process

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
9/30/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor replied 8 months ago
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

When will I receive a tesponse
Response

If you keep asking questions while I am trying to type the answer, it will take longer. I'm working on it now.

Unfortunately, no. A lawyer cannot expedite the expungement process. There is an investigation that has to be done by the State Police to determine, first of all, if a particular applicant is entitled to an expungement, and apparently, that's where the backlog occurs. The police are short-staffed and there are always many, many petitions awaiting expungement.

Once the police finish their investigation and the judge signs the expungement order, it actually has to go back to the state police who then has the task of removing the record from various databases.

So there's simply no way to get them to rush through the process. I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD