Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

An ex friend of mine used my address on two accounts I know…

Customer Question
An ex friend of...

An ex friend of mine used my address on two accounts I know of and now I am receiving all the debt collection letters to my address. I did not know the letter was addressed to her right away and just opened it thinking it was my mail. Is this some kind of fraud that was done without my permission I want it to stop. Is this illegal that she used it to get out of paying bills?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because consumer protection law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

NY

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

I have one but was unreachable today. She told me she is going to get me in trouble for opening her mail which I did not intend to do just wasn't paying attention.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
9/30/2017
Criminal Lawyer: PhillipsEsq, Attorney-at-Law replied 10 months ago
PhillipsEsq
PhillipsEsq, Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am sorry to read about your difficulties.

Response: It would only be fraud if your name is ***** ***** accounts. If she just used your address, that would not be considered identity theft because you are not responsible for the debts, she still is, but she is trying to avoid being detected by the debt collectors. You can write to the debt collectors and inform them of her address.

As for her threats to report you for opening her mails, that would not go anywhere since you opened the mails by accident and the address used is yours. So, obviously you though the mails were yours because you did not expect that she would use your address for mailing.

It would be prudent for you to order your credit reports from all three main Credit Report Agencies and review the reports to ensure that she has not used your name to obtain credit. If she has, then you need to file a Police Report and also file complaint against her with Federal Trade Commission.

Best wishes,

A positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating.

Thank you for your cooperation.