Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

I have a court da on October 30 for a misdemeanor without a

bail and they didn't took...
I have a court da on October 30 for a misdemeanor without a bail and they didn't took my passport, can I leave the country?
JA: What state is this in? And can you tell me a little more about the charge?
Customer: Ny
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The charges are bogus a fake DV which the accuser left for Russia and they never did a DIR
9/30/2017
Nisha Jones, Esq.

Good evening, I am a Criminal Defense attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

As to whether you can leave the country -- yes, you can do so. Background checks are not run on your way out of the country, but you are screened on your way back in.

This means that while you can leave the US now and miss your future court dates, if you ever plan to re-enter the US again in the future, you would have an outstanding bench warrant on your record. That means you would be arrested, taken into custody, and transported to NY to stand trial for this offense.

Since this is just a misdemeanor offense, it would be better to stay and deal with it now, than to risk missing court, being issued a bench warrant, and labeled as a 'flight risk' for leaving the country.

Of course, if you intend to leave the country and return before your court date, then that should not pose any problems.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Nisha Jones, Esq.
I have not intention of missing my court date
Phone call session started

It was a pleasure speaking with you. If you have any more questions in the future and would like my help, please feel free to reach out to me here at JustAnswer by posting a new question, and adding "For Nisha" to the first part of your question. Best of luck to you, take care!

Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer