Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I have a class misdemeanor on my record that was supposed to…

Customer Question
I have a class...

I have a class b misdemeanor on my record that was supposed to be expunged once i finished my deferred adjudication. It is still there as sealed. Can i get it taken off?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And can you tell me a little more about the charge?

Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Theft $50>$500

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No ma'am

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
9/30/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 8 months ago
Nisha Jones

Good evening, I am a Criminal Defense attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Ok it was back in 2011 and I do not have anything else on my record. No tickets, either.
Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 8 months ago

It appears that you may have been misinformed.

Unfortunately under Texas law, cases of deferred adjudication are not eligible for expunction.

They are however eligible for non disclosure orders, which is what you described above and is essentially where your record is sealed but not completely eliminated.

See:

https://www.texasbar.com/AM/Template.cfm?Section=Our_Legal_System1&Template=/CM/ContentDisplay.cfm&ContentID=23459

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 8 months ago

See:

I hope that helps!

Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 8 months ago

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!

Nisha Jones
Nisha Jones
Nisha Jones