Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Im on probation and there is a no contact with the co

Customer Question
Im on probation and...

Im on probation and there is a no contact with the co defendet whom is my boyfriend who is in jail. At the time of our hearing the judge asked me if i wanted a no contact order and i said yes. Its bern almost a year now and i want to see about how i can get it removed so i can go visit him in jail. Is this possible. Should i speak to my PO to see if she can do anything?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No. I've just been thinking about it. Or is it best to wait til he gets out next June? I don't want to violate my probation i want to make sure i do the right thing.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No i believe that's all thank you

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
9/30/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 10 months ago
Nisha Jones

Good evening, I am a Criminal Defense attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 10 months ago

Yes, this is definitely a request that you can make.

Given that the no contact order was put in at your request, and that it's been almost a year without any incident, I'm sure the judge would be lenient when it comes to the consideration of removing the order.

It doesn't sound as though the court has any reason for concern for your safety at this point.

Your PO doesn't have the authority to remove the no contact order though, this is something that needs to be requested before the judge handling your case.

Your attorney can help with getting you a date set on the court's calendar, or if you don't have an attorney at this time, you can go in to the clerk's office at the courthouse where your case was heard, and let a clerk know you'd like to request a court date. They can assist you with getting one set up.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 10 months ago

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!