Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Is there any action to recover Social Security payments

Customer Question
Is there any action...

Is there any action to recover Social Security payments suspended for older prison inmates.

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did this occur?

NC, but was Federal charge

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

It seems to be discrimination for older people. I am no 71 yrs. of age & have paid into the system seince I was 16 yoa. I retired at age 62. Inmates who are to young to receive payments pay nothing. Why should those of us who have paid into the system be singled out. Many families (not in my case) depend on these funds to survive. Just seems unfair to me. Just another way the Federal Gov. can take $ from people.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
9/29/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Longhorn Lawyer, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Longhorn Lawyer

Hello! Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is***** have over 12 years of legal experience.

During this conversation, you might experience some delays while I work with several customers at the same time, or I am preparing a response to you. Please do not click Opt Out expecting a faster response. This results in more delays while waiting for another Expert. I assure you I will help you in due time. Thank you in advance for your patience and understanding.

Is the person in question currently incarcerated?

NO

Thank you for your patience. Your answer is below. When you get your answers, you will be asked to give a rating - 4 or 5 stars are appreciated. This is important because this is how I credit for doing my job. Don't worry, you can still ask related follow-up questions even after you've given a rating. Thank you!

ANSWER: Individuals released from incarceration may be eligible for Social Security retirement if they have worked or paid into Social Security enough years.

The released individual should contact the SSA at 1-***-***-**** Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. to iInform Social Securitythat s/he was released from prison. S/he will need to provide proof of release, so s/he should bring her/his official prison release documents to the appointment.

NOTE: Release from prison does not automatically make someone eligible for benefits. But depending on the circumstances of the case, SSA may be able to have the checks started, effective the month after the month of release.

I hope that answers your questions. Please remember to give me credit for doing my job by clicking on 4 or 5 stars at the top of your screen.

A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today. And remember, you can still ask follow-up questions if you need to.

If you want to talk on the phone, I am available to do that for an additional fee.

And if you have new questions in the future, you should write FOR JAMES in the question. That way, I become your personal Professional.

Thank you!

Can you see my response, above?

Hi, I’m just checking in to see how things are going. I see you have reviewed my answer but I have not received credit for it. Do you need more help? Please respond so that I know what to do next.

Thank you!