Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

17 years ago I had a non sufficient check I showed up for my…

Customer Question
17 years ago I...

17 years ago I had a non sufficient check I showed up for my court date I was never arrested I was just told to go to court I was finger printed and let go I showed up and they had absolutely nothing in the system they sent me home and said they would send me something in the mail I never received anything I have my drivers license I've been pulled over multiple times in the last 17 years of my license is always came back clean I am going for a management position for a gaming license that does an FBI investigation and this came up from 17 years ago so I called the court house to see and they said yes they had issued a warrant they said it is old old though

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when was the warrant issued?

Ca

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

17 years ago

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

My record is clean I've never been in trouble for anything this is the only thing like I said its been about 16 years ago

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
9/28/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 7 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Your question seems to have cut off, you said they told you it was old enough that what? Since warrants never expire until the case is settled, the warrant does not expire.

Now I have to go and appear before the judge because I just found out about it when I had a background investigation that they had issued a warrant 17 years ago I just don't know what they'll do I don't even know if the place is still in business that the check was written to I just was wondering what they would do to me
I have never had a criminal history or never been in any trouble in any way for anything and like I said its 17 years ago.

Thank you for your reply.

Given the time that has passed and the fact that when you did appear in court they had no information on the case and they never sent notice when it was set, the judge is likely not going to charge you with failure to appear and in most every one of these cases if you show up to pay the money due on the check at court, the DA will agree to dismiss charges even, since they hate dealing with these cases to begin with. No jail time is usually ever given and most every DA will agree to dismiss the case, especially since they likely will not get the other party who was the victim to appear if they recover the money on the check.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer