Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

My daughter was stopped by Walmart loss prevention for

Customer Question
My daughter was stopped...

My daughter was stopped by Walmart loss prevention for shoplifting 45.00 and police were called and ticket issued. When police asked loss prevention they said they were not pressing charges and she was allowed to shop at Walmart and Sams. When we go to court if Walmart does not show up will the case get thrown out

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?

In south Carolina and it occurred last week

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
9/28/2017
Criminal Lawyer: P. Simmons, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
P. Simmons, Lawyer

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

I am sorry for this dilemma. But not sure I understand your specific question. That is, if they are not pressing charges, why is she attending a hearing?

Walmart did not press charges and the officer got very upset that Walmart was not pressing charges but he wrote a blue ticket with a 2,000.00 fine. He stated I needed to pay the fine but if she pleads not quilty and Walmart doesn't show up what happens next

If she she pleas not guilty? And the government is not able to prove the case? The court will toss out the charges (the charges would be dismissed).

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Hi
Experts on this site (myself) are compensated ONLY if the customer (yourself) "rate" or "accept" the answer.

Do you have more questions regarding this?

Thanks for your understanding
Phil

P. Simmons, Lawyer