Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

A friend who is 21 was given a citation for having an open…

Customer Question
A friend who is...

A friend who is 21 was given a citation for having an open container of beer on the street bout 3 days ago. He lives in pa. What is the protocol and punishments?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Delaware

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just that this person has an exemplary record

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
9/28/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Nisha Jones, Esq.

Good evening, I am a Criminal Defense attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

This person has no prior record and was not intoxicated.

Thanks for the additional information. Give me just a few minutes to type up my response for you, thanks!

I'm sorry for the delay, I was away from the site.

The state of Delaware has rather liberal laws when it comes alcohol and open containers, both in the street and in vehicles.

However, the possession of an open container of beer is the exception.

The good news is that this is not a criminal matter, just a citation for which a fine will need to be paid.

The fine can range anywhere between $25 - $100.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!

Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer