Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

What is a deferred disposition on a class c under $100 theft…

Customer Question
What is a deferred...

What is a deferred disposition on a class c under $100 theft in Texas?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I was given a ticket for theft under $100 in Grapevinne, TX yesterday, I see that the max that can happen is a $500 dollar fine, but I was wondering what a deferred disposition is and what I can do to get a low fine and not be convicted

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Texas

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
9/27/2017
Criminal Lawyer: ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. It's a class C misdemeanor. So that means it's on your criminal history. A "deferred disposition" / deferred adjudication, is a pretrial diversion. It means that you're put on probation, and if you successfully complete the terms, then the case is dismissed, and you don't have a criminal history. Generally you still have to pay the fine. But it's worth it to avoid a criminal history. If the prosecutor is willing to agree to it and the court will enter a deferred disposition / adjudication, then pay the fine. MAYBE the prosecutor will agree to a lower fine, but if not, pay it. It's worth it. The reason is that any THEFT crimes will show up on any employment background check for the rest of your life. Employers don't like thieves, as they're worried that they're going to steal from them. So if you have a theft crime on your record, the employer is going to think you're a thief. If you can have it dismissed through deferred adjudication, do so, and pay what you have to, as it's far, far cheaper than trying to get it expunged in the future.

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.

Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars, but note that the rating is what closes out this question, so it is necessary that you do so.

Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

I thought class c's were only punishable up to a $500 fine, so can I just pay a fine and be done with it?

Yes, it's "punishable" up to a $500 fine, BUT it's also on your criminal record. It's a misdemeanor for theft. It will show up in a criminal background check. It's not something that you'd get jail for, true. But unless you're already retired, why would you want employers to see that you have a criminal record for theft?

I understand what you are saying. How long is the probation usually for something like that?

Pretty short (1 year or less). And it's fairly simple. Maybe a bit of community service, on top of keeping your nose clean (no other thefts or crimes)

Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?

Are you there? Please note that I am still here, awaiting your response or rating... (please note that rating closes this question out, so if there's nothing else, please rate it so that I can assist other customers that are waiting for answers to their questions).

If you can't see the stars, you may need to scroll up / down / left / or right to see them. This is where you rate so that the question will close out.

I see that you have not responded in some time. Please note that this question is still open until you rate it. I believe that I have answered your question, but if you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.

If you feel that I have gone above and beyond in this answer (my average answer is about 10 minutes) bonuses are greatly appreciated. Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

▼ RATING REQUIRED! ▼ Please don't forget to Rate my service positively. It's only after you rate that I am credited.

Can you see on your screen where you need to rate it? Note that you may need to press a "submit" button after clicking on the appropriate star rating. This is what I'm waiting on from you. Thanks!

ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer