Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I have a 10 yr old warrant in FL and I am needing the get a…

Customer Question
I have a 10...

I have a 10 yr old warrant in FL and I am needing the get a drivers license in TX will I be able to get one with that

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when was the warrant issued?

Warrant in Florida 8/17/2007

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No just found out about it

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Is this gonna cost me to talk to him

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
9/27/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor replied 8 months ago
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

No, unfortunately. If they check the national database at the Texas DMV and find the Florida warrant, they will not issue you a Texas license. In fact, after a while, if it hasn't happened already, Florida will suspend your driving privileges and every other US state will honor that suspension.

You can try, of course. It's always possible that they won't check the database. But if they find it and it is a felony warrant, Texas DMV could also contact the authorities to have you arrested and held for extradition.

In short, you're in a bad news situation if you want to drive. Consider clearing up the warrant.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.