Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I got pulled over in las vegas they did a sobriety test and…

Customer Question
Good morning I got...

Good morning I got pulled over in las vegas they did a sobriety test and told me the needed to take me in cause they had no breathalyzer with them and they ended up getting blood from me and charging me with a dui

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did this occur?

Nevada

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Not yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I do smoke marijuana i have a medical card in California but i am a Nevada resident they found a gun in the car but did not charge me with it or any of my passengers but they have a hold on my cvar at the moment

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
9/27/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 10 months ago
Nisha Jones

Good morning, I am a Criminal Defense attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 10 months ago

I've reviewed your question and I'm happy to help. Give me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thanks!

Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 10 months ago

Nevada has implied consent laws when it comes to DUI's and blood draw testing. That means that if the police had reason to believe you were driving under the influence, then they are permitted to conduct a blood draw.

Of course there may be other possible defenses that can be raised on your behalf, so hiring an attorney as soon as possible is advisable.

If you did not have marijuana on you at the time, then you don't need to worry about being charged with marijuana possession.

Your car may be held "on hold" until your first court date, so you'll want to speak with your attorney as soon as possible to get an order for the release of your car.

You can also follow up yourself by calling the police impound lot periodically to inquire whether the hold has been lifted.

Impound lot fees are charged by the day, and you will have to pay all fees before your car will be released, so the sooner you get your car out, the less expensive it will be.

If you can't afford a lawyer right now, the court will assign you a public defender at your first court appearance.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 10 months ago

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!