Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

How do i obtain a motion to reduce a jail sentence in

Customer Question
How do i obtain...

How do i obtain a motion to reduce a jail sentence in Rochester hills, Michigan

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Michigan

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No its a simple 90 day sentence from judge and i am trying to get a motion to reduce the 90 day sentence because the other judge gave 30 days

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Its a probation violation case in Rochester hills, Michigan the sentence is 90 days for one judge and 30 days for the other judge. i am simply asking how to obtain paperwork so i can ask the other judge to reduce the 90 day sentence

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
9/27/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 10 months ago
Nisha Jones

Good morning, I am a Criminal Defense attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 10 months ago

Motions vary by person and case, as each case has unique features, reasons for applying for a sentence reduction, etc.

I can however send you some examples of other Motions for a Reduction of Sentence so that you can have a basic framework to work from.

The JustAnswer website also started a new document review service late last year that allows you to upload a document to the site, and for a small fee have an attorney review the document for you, before you submit it to the court.

That would allow you to get some feedback from a professional in the field, without having to pay much higher prices to have an attorney review or prepare your documents privately.

If you wanted to review the examples I've sent links to below, and then have me review your document before you submit it to the clerk, I'd be happy to assist you with that.

Here are links to some other Michigan motions for a reduction in sentence:

http://www.sado.org/pleadings/10371_quarter-reduction-motion.pdf

http://www.miwd.uscourts.gov/motions-sentencing-modifications

This link provides you an extensive list of motion templates as provided by the western district of Michigan courts. You would pick the one most applicable to your case (ie. the specific reason and grounds under which your motion is being filed).

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 10 months ago

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!