Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I was committed to the psyc of a hospital for 2 weeks. I was…

Customer Question
Second Opinion] I was committed...
Second Opinion] I was committed to the psyc ward of a hospital for 2 weeks. I was then sentenced to 3 months of out patient medications.. I was told if I did not comply police would come to my home and return me to the hospital. Also due to an auto accident a few days prior to this hospitalization I had no transportation. My husband would not take me to find a new car nor allow me to drive his. He told everyone mentally and they believed him. I live in the country so I was then pretty much a held in my own home for 9 months The injustice is that I was never mentally ill. To make it brief I was a victim of spousal abuse and when my husband was loosing control he went the route of telling lies resulting in my bring repeatedly committed. That nightmare of hospitalizations has now ended, I do certainly hope. It's taken a while to get somewhat past the trauma of this, and it has greatly tainted my reputation. I feel I was abused by the system.. In my research I've learned that both mental health workers and the police are protected by limited . This is my question. Is there anything legal action I can take that might bring me some justice? So far no one has been able to help me. Thank you for your response.
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
9/27/2017
Criminal Lawyer: RayAnswers, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

You may have a great defamation suit against the husband if he made false defaming statements to these third parties.

Defamation is a false statement that hurts your reputation and that was not made under privileged circumstances such as during testimony in court. It can be made via either slander – meaning that the statement was made orally – or as libel – meaning that it was printed in written form – but in either situation it has to have been made publicly and you must be able to prove that it was both false and injurious. It also needs to have been made as a result of either negligence or malice.

In order to prove that defamation against you has taken place, you must be able to show that the statements made were false, were made in such a way that they became known to a party or parties beyond yourself and the person making the statement, and that it is understood that the statement was about you and that it harmed your reputation. If the statement that has been made about you is true, no matter how much it may have hurt your reputation it is not considered defamatory.

It appears your spouse defamed you and caused you harm and you can sue him for damages..

That seems like it would be your best remedy here it would be hard to sue the police and others.

I appreciate the chance you help you tonight.Thanks again.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

RayAnswers
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer