Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

My. My question was "are gun rights automatically restored…

Customer Question
Yes my question was...

Yes my question was "are gun rights automatically restored after 10 years without even a traffic violation New Mexico I live in Nevada now

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Not yet. I have emailed one. Called public defenders office of NM today

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

It was a dwi 23 years ago. I tried to purchase a gun here at a store and was denied New Mexico DWI but I live in Las Vegas now

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
9/27/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor replied 7 months ago
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

Hi Zoey- ok
Are you researching?

Almost finished. Please be patient. Making me stop to answer you only will delay me further.

If you had a felony conviction in New Mexico 23 years ago, New Mexico would automatically allow you to possess a firearm after 10 years have passed since your sentencing. However, that would not necessarily relieve you of your Federal disability, which could prevent you from exercising your rights, even in New Mexico.

If you are unable to pass a NICs check, you may be able to successfully appeal the denial of your Federal rights by showing proof of your conviction and of the law that shows that New Mexico has restored your gun rights, which is N.M. Stat. Ann. 5 30-7-16(A)

Otherwise, in order to regain all of your civil rights along with your gun rights, which would lift the Federal bar, you'd need to get a full pardon from the governor of New Mexico. That would restore all of your civil rights and would be something that the Federal government would recognize, as should Nevada.

Copy that- Thank you

You're very welcome!

I strive for 5-star service. If I have addressed all of your concerns, please take the time to rate my service to you by selecting 3, 4, or (hopefully) 5 stars on the rating scale, as that is the only way that JustAnswer gives us Experts credit for our work. You would still be able to post further follow ups on this question thread about this for no additional cost, even after I've been rated.

Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD