Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

If I press charges on someone for sealing 600 dollars from…

Customer Question
Hi if I press...

Hi if I press charges on someone for sealing 600 dollars from my credit card do they get arrested

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?

Florida. Last week

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Not yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That's all

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/26/2017
Criminal Lawyer: KLAW, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
KLAW
KLAW, Lawyer
Good afternoon
In the state of Florida, a person commits theft by taking or using someone else's property while having the requsite criminal intent. Specifically, Florida law states that a person commits theft when “he or she knowingly obtains or uses, or endeavors to obtain or to use, the property of another with intent to, either temporarily or permanently:
deprive the other person of a right to the property or a benefit from the property, or
appropriate the property to his or her own use or to the use of any person not entitled to the use of the property.” (Fla. Stat. Ann. § 812.014.)
What you are describing is Grand Theft of the Third Degree. A variety of different theft offenses can constitute grand theft of the third degree (considered a felony of the third degree in Florida), including theft of:
property valued between $100 and $300, taken from in or around someone's home;
property valued at less than $20,000 including credit card fraud, theft;
more than 2,000 individual pieces of citrus fruit; or
any property taken from a construction site.
A felony of the third degree can result in a term of imprisonment of not more than 5 years and a fine not to exceed $5,000. (Fla. Stat. Ann. § 77.082, 77.083.)
So it would be up to the prosecution to pursue the charges, which an arrest is possible if you press charges.I hope this clarifies. Please don't forget to rate the question with stars so that I will receive credit and payment for assisting you with your question.
If you have any other questions please just ask