Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

A company scammed my mother out of $400 for "computer

A company scammed my...

A company scammed my mother out of $400 for "computer services" my mother issued them an electronic check for the services but she didn't understand what she was paying for. I have attempted to resolve the issue with my mother's bank but they have informed me that I need to request a refund from the computer company & I am not having any luck reaching them or getting them to respond to me.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because consumer protection law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

It was in the state of Maryland

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

I have not. I have wasted time trying to get the bank to stop the payment & now have spent a few days trying to make contact with the computer company. I wasn't sure where to go from here.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don't think so. Except that my mother knowingly issued the payment but she is not cognizant so she doesn't understand that they were scamming her.

9/26/2017
CrimDefense
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good afternoon. Can you share with me a little more regarding how she was scammed?

Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of detail because I wasn't there when the transaction occurred. But they called her on the phone & offered to repair/fix her computer. She then issued an electronic check to them for $399.99. I only found out about it because I was checking her banking & saw the pending payment. I attempted to cancel the check but since it was electronic it couldn't be stopped. She only had $55 in her account so she shouldn't have agreed to the payment. I did have her return the authorization form back to them declining the services but they still cashed the check. She is on a fixed income & can't afford this payment. I have been unsuccessful in reaching anyone at the company or getting any response to the many emails I have sent.

Thank you and please allow me a moment

Yes, this man be a scam, as you stated. If it was, the bank should protect her and stand behind her an address this. If she received a random call and they asked for money, it likely had to do with scammers from out of the country, who say the computer is infected with a virus and spy ware and needs to be fixed or updated. That is likely why you will not hear back from them, because they are not real and will not refund anything. You can go to the police and report this and FBI and have them look into it but if the bank will not assist and stop payment and protect her, you will have to sue and go after the thieves, if they can be found.

The document that they sent to my mother via email has a Maryland address on it & I've called the 800 # on the form. A person answered & said someone would return my call but that was a week ago. So it's most likely someone from another country that did this? My mother is not cognizant which is why I maintain her check book, but she issued this check electronically thru her online bank account.

You should contact the Maryland AG and file a complaint and have them step in and try and resolve this. They may be able to help. You can also file a complaint with the BBB as well, so if if they can assist.

Thank you - I wasn't sure which route to take at this point. I appreciate the suggestions. I would like to try all avenues to get her money back before I just accept that she was scammed & then try to protect her from it happening again in the future.

You are welcome and I do understand. Please let me know if there is anything else, as I would be happy to respond. If not, please remember to rate my help at this time at the top of this page, prior to leaving, so I can receive the proper credit, for our time together. A 5 STAR rating is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

CrimDefense
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
CrimDefense
CrimDefense
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty