ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney
19487448

I was wondering if I’m able to buy a fire arm in if I plead

I was wondering if I’m able to buy a fire arm in Virginia if I plead no contest, facts sufficient to find guilty but defer adjudication, and the order the charge dismissed for assault and battery charge?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Virginia
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No. I just attempted to get expunged but they wouldn’t remove that one. And I have serviced my probation for good behavior which I served no jail time
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: That’s it. Thanks. Oh this was a misdemeanor charge

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

Without a conviction, that's not going to keep you from being able to purchase a firearm. Convictions of these crimes are what are considered. A deferred adjudication is a dismissal, not a conviction, and as such it's not going to bar you from purchasing a firearm.

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.

Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars, but note that the rating is what closes out this question, so it is necessary that you do so.

Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!