Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

MY FRIEND AND I TOOK MY THREE CHILDREN TO THE LAKE. WE HAD A…

Customer Question
MY FRIEND AND I TOOK...

MY FRIEND AND I TOOK MY THREE CHILDREN TO THE LAKE . WE HAD A GOOD DAY. MY FRIEND AND I DRANK A COUPLE OF BEERS WHILE THERE. NO BIG DEAL WE THOUGHT. ON ARE WAY HOME WE GOT PULLED FOR A TAIL LIGHT, MY FRIEND WAS CHARGED WITH D.U.I.AND I WAS ISSUED A SUMMONS IN LIEU OF ARREST FOR ENDANGERING CHILDREN OHIO REVISED CODE 537.07A I HAVE TO APPEAR AT 10AM ON OCT. 3RD TO THE ***** ***** COURT. I AM VERY-VERY WORRIED ABOUT WHATS GOING TO HAPPEN. I HAVE NEVER BEEN IN TROUBLE BEFORE. WHAT TO DO ?

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
9/25/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor replied 8 months ago
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

Here is the subsection of the law in Ohio which you have been charged under:

537.07 ENDANGERING CHILDREN.

(a) No person, who is the parent, guardian, custodian, person having custody or control, or person in loco parentis of a child under eighteen years of age or a mentally or physically handicapped child under twenty-one years of age, shall create a substantial risk to the health or safety of the child, by violating a duty of care, protection or support. It is not a violation of a duty of care, protection or support under this subsection when the parent, guardian, custodian or person having custody or control of a child treats the physical or mental illness or defect of the child by spiritual means through prayer alone, in accordance with the tenets of a recognized religious body.

---

Child endangering is a first degree misdemeanor. It is potentially punishable by up to 6 months in jail and a fine. Jail is not a typical possibility on a first offense, unless you go all the way to trial and lose the case. The worst you are likely looking at if you wanted to resolve this with a plea is probation with parenting classes. However, this is not a charge that you would want on your record if you could possibly avoid it.

If you can afford a criminal attorney, retain him as soon as possible. He can reach out to the prosecutor before the case is even filed with the court and perhaps negotiate a disposition that could keep this case off of your record. If that's not possible, he could try to negotiate a disposition involving a reduction or a substitution of charges, or a diversion or deferral type of disposition where the matter can be dismissed after you successfully served your sentence.

If you cannot afford an attorney, plead not guilty when you go to court on the 3rd and you are arraigned on your charges. Then let the judge know that you are without the means to afford a lawyer and need him to appoint you a public defender. He will do so and adjourn the case for you to meet your lawyer on the next date.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.

Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD