Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I'm really hoping you can help me or at least maybe point me…

Customer Question
I'm really hoping you...

I'm really hoping you can help me or at least maybe point me in the right direction. I was arrested back in the end of April on a shoplifting charge. When the officer came to my house I did not even know what she was talking abt but she told me I had to go w/ her down to the station and that as long as I cooperated it would not take long. I went. I saw a judge over a video phone and was given a court date. I then wrote and faxed a letter to the court requesting a continuance. I had never been arrested before so was not exactly sure how everything worked. I realize now that I probably should have followed up as I never recieved a new date and forgot abt til today. My daughter was at a friend's house this afternoon where a domestic disturbance occured and the police were called. The same officer showed up and when my daughter was asked her mother's name so they could call me since she is a minor, the officer remembered my name and went to her car to look me up. She then had my daughter call me to let me know I had a warrant out for failure to appear and that I needed to turn myself in immediately. I asked if I could wait til tomorrow so I could speak w/ an attorney first but was told no. I now have to appear tomorrow morning at 9 (thejudge told me via video phone that if I gave him my word that I would be there in the morning by myself he would not hold me over night). I am now not sure what to do, I don't want to not show up and have another warrant issued (which us what they told me would happen) but I'm not sure I am comfortable having to go in on my own either (there is some prior history w/ the arresting officer as well as her boyfriend, which is really personnal, not legal which I don't think is right either, and is making me even less trusting of the process from the start.) Is there anything you can recommend or suggest, or even let me know what (if any) options I might have? Any info would be greatly appreciated!!!

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when was the warrant issued?

I live in Delaware, and if I heard them correctly I believe they said the warrant was issued May 3rd.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No I haven't. I had intended to find one once I had a court date but then this mess came up this afternoon and w/ it being a weekend I didn't know what to do

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Other than a big part of my concern and uneasiness over all of this is compounded by the personnal aspect of the situation and some of the things that have been done and said between the time of the initial arrest and now. I have no record and never been in any trouble other than traffic tickets and am having a hard enough time trying to navigate through and deal w/ this, and that is only making everything worse not only just for me, but for my children (mainly my daughter) now too. It just doesn't seem right or fair and makes me feel trapped, scared, and extremely untrusting even though I know I did nothing wrong

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
9/25/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor replied 8 months ago
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

If you were told by a judge to report tomorrow do that. I'm sure you'd be most comfortable never going to court at all, but that's not going to be an option. You can make things worse for yourself if you don't.

Are you returning on a warrant at the courthouse? If so, you can find a lawyer in the courtroom and retain him or her just to stand up on your return.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.

Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD