Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

I got a Statute 5-71-212 last night in co. Arkansas my? is…

Hi i got a...

Hi i got a Statute 5-71-212 last night in clark co. Arkansas my ? is do i just have to pay a fine or do time as well

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Arkansas

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Answered in 1 minute by:
9/24/2017
Nisha Jones, Esq.

Good evening, I am a Criminal Defense attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Statute 5-71-212 is the criminal statute for public intoxication and/ or drinking in public.

This is a class C misdemeanor, and is punishable by a maximum fine of $500 and up to 30 days in jail.

That is the maximum possible sentence, so of course no jail time and just a fine is also a possibility. However, alot of that will depend on how your case is presented in court, negotiations with the prosecutor, and the leniency of the judge.

It would be advisable to hire a local defense attorney to represent you in this matter and ensure your case is handled properly. If you can't afford one right now, the court will assign a public defender to you at your first court date.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Nisha Jones, Esq.
could you take care of this for me ? can i hire you to do this

Thank you, ***** ***** love to however under the rules of the website as well as the rules of ethics that govern attorneys -- I am not allowed to retain clients through this site. This site is an information only website where no attorney client relationships are formed.

can you suggest the best local lawyer? Caddo Valley Arkansas clark county

I'm sorry, but the same rules of ethics that I mentioned before, as well as site rules, prevent me from referring you to a specific attorney.

Lawyers are not allowed to refer to another specific lawyer.

I can let you know that a simple Google search "criminal defense lawyer Caddo Valley Arkansas" will supply you with a list of local attorneys in or near your area.

You can review their websites and even call around to find an attorney you like.

I hope that helps! If you have any more questions in the future and would like my help, please feel free to reach out to me here at JustAnswer by posting a new question, and adding "For Nisha" to the first part of your question. Best of luck to you, take care!

Thank You

You're welcome!

Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer