Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Neighbor said sheriff came by house--- but left no paperwork…

Customer Question
Neighbor said sheriff came...

Neighbor said sheriff came by house--- but left no paperwork or cards. Never had one come by before so just wondering what it could be

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did this occur?

Kentucky

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No-- happened today

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not sure

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/24/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 11 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. Additionally, most people believe a phone call is the easiest and most efficient way to handle problems. Accordingly, you will receive an automatic phone call request. If you would like a phone call, please click “Accept” when prompted.

Go ahead and review, thanks
Are you there? Just checking

I'm here! One moment...

Thank you for your patience. The bright side is that you probably aren’t in any kind of trouble. Sometimes, the Sheriff can be called to serve court documents (e.g. temporary restraining orders and lawsuits) on another party on behalf of a complainant. What is likely is that the Sheriff may be following up on some other alleged infraction by another person and they believe that you might have information that might help them close the case. It is probable that they give you a call as well to find out some of this information without having to come back again. If you were under investigation, it is probable that they would not let you know that they stopped by or they would not do it in such a casual manner.

Also, although I provided an initial answer, it’s important that you are 100% satisfied. If you feel I have done so, please rate me 5 stars and let me know if you have any follow up questions. As a side note, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.

Ok thank you

You bet. Check out my response as well.

without leaving any note or apparent work does it mean they will come back by to get physical meet or call? How does thefollow up work? Just have never had sheriff by before some want to be sure before logging off

Good question. It means they will probably want to come back and they may follow up some time soon if they are looking for leads on information that you may possess. I wouldn't be concerned; if they wanted to arrest you for something, they probably would have and they wouldn't be nice and casual about it. Regardless, I would just prepare for at least one more visit or you can ask them yourself for what reason they came so you can prevent them coming to your door and freaking everyone out. Did you have any other questions for me at all?

how would I contact? Is there a local district or county sheriff office that can let me know? This las question

No problem. It is probable that it was your local county sheriff. It is likely that they have a website and you can probably just call their main number and ask whether any of their officers had any interest in speaking with you or anyone at your residence.