Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  Former administrative hearing officer
17897874

My sister was arrested for felony theft in IL when she was

My sister was arrested for felony theft in IL when she was 17 yoa. This was before the law changed so she was considered an adult. She agreed to plead guilty to misdemeanor theft which is on her record. She is now 25 yoa and has trouble getting a good job because of the background check. Can she get this record expunged or is this permanent?
JA: What state is this in? And can you tell me a little more about the charge?
Customer: Ilinois. She was working at a store and was arrested for stealing something like $1200 over a period of almost a year. When she went to court, she agreed to re-pay the money as well as all court fees in exchange for a pleading guilty to misdemeanor theft. She repaid the money and paid the court fees but her record looks as if she plead guilty to felony theft.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: Not yet
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: That's all I know.

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, an Illinois licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

Customer: replied 30 days ago.
If it were my own situation I would consider it. However, Im just trying to get a quick answer as to whether my sister can have her record expunged

Yes, Illinois allows the expungement of misdemeanor convictions after 2 or 3 yrs of sentence completion (depending on the disposition)

Your sister will need to file the forms and supporting documentation in the circuit court for the county where the conviction occurred.

Here is a link to the forms and instructions:

ILLINOIS EXPUNGEMENT

Please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Customer: replied 30 days ago.
Great, thank you and yes I will!

You are very welcome. Thank you for using JA.