Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I won a shotgun on raffle by mistake with some co workers I…

Customer Question
I won a shotgun on...
I won a shotgun on raffle by mistake with some co workers
I said I did not want shotgun but had to run background so my
Coworkers wont find out about my history I answered. No on felonies
Because they were watching I was denied firearm purchase can I get in trouble for it in Texas
N
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
9/24/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Generally, TX law will deny you the firearm if you have made a material misrepresentation on your firearm application. Moreover, according to a trusted source, “Under U.S. Code 18 Section 1001, it is illegal to knowingly and willfully make any materially false, fictitious or fraudulent statement or representation in any matter within the jurisdiction of the executive, legislative or judicial branch of the United States. A conviction for lying on a federal form is punishable by five to eight years in federal prison.” Thus, technically you could be charged. However, I think the practical realities are a bit different than what the law says. If you did not intentionally try to deceive someone on the application, but were only doing it to prevent embarrassment in front of your co-workers, then there will not be enough to hold the charge against you.

Also, although I provided an initial answer, it’s important that you are 100% satisfied. If you feel I have done so, please rate me 5 stars and let me know if you have any follow up questions. As a side note, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.

Legal Eagle, Lawyer