Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

What is the law in Tennessee on statutory rape. The girl is…

Customer Question
What is the law...

What is the law in Tennessee on statutory rape

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The girl is 17 the boynot sure maybe 19 they were boyfriend girlfriend parents not sure how serious relationship was

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/23/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 10 months ago
Loren, Lawyer

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

In Tennessee, the age of consent is 18. This is the age at which a person can consent to sex with an adult. If both partners are over 18, any age difference between them is irrelevant. However, if one of them is under the age of 18, then Tennessee classifies that sex as statutory rape because the partner under 18 is considered incapable of consent.

However, as in many other states, Tennessee makes some exceptions to its age of consent when the actors are within a certain age range, and close to the same age. In general, a person over the age of 13 can legally consent to sex with someone who is less than 4 years older. So, it is unlikely an charges would be brought against a 19 yr old who had sexual relations with a 17 yr old.

Please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Are you online?

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you!