Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Do you have to hire an attorney to file harassment charges…

Customer Question
Do you have to...

Do you have to hire an attorney to file harassment charges or is that done by filing a police report? I received a call that my ex was threatening to file harassment charges against me but the problem is that we have had amicable conversations for the past two months. I was completely caught off guard. I do not understand his reasoning for this and what the consequences will be towards me? I just got a text from him last night before I received a call from the sheriff's office

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?

Texas. today Also, how should I protect myself through this. Will a temp restraining order show that I am not attempting contact with him?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

I spoke to a lawyer but since they have not officially filed harassment charges..they recommended a temp restraining order but I did not retain them yet... I was not sure what to do

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No that is it

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
9/22/2017
Criminal Lawyer: INFOLAWYER, Lawyer replied 11 months ago
INFOLAWYER, Lawyer

Hello and welcome. I am working on your answer and will be right back!

Normally this is done without counsel. The complaining party speaks to the police and a statement is given. A lawyer can be helpful in assisting but not necessary. If there is action being taken or considered by the police, a lawyer can be useful in defending such action and reducing the possible outcome and sometimes having it dismissed for lack of foundation.

How will I know if they filed harassment charges?
It seemed like more of a threat, I never received a solid answer on what they were intending to do

You would be served with notice. You may want to have a lawyer available on hand should that happen.

sometimes it is just threats which never turn into anything so you can wait.

How long does that typically take?

it can take a few weeks depending on how busy they are, but if they find no evidence, it would be closed and not pursued.

Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding "yes" or "acceptable"
Should I call the police department to find out what will happen or will that make it worse?
I just would rather have some sort of heads up instead of worrying for two weeks about what may happen